The research and development activities of “LB Bulgaricum” EAD have a history and traditions of more than 40 years. The centre for research and development at “LB Bulgaricum” EAD was established after the merger of the former Central Experimental Laboratory for pure cultures in Sofia and the Institute for the Dairy Industry in Vidin. The vocation of the centre is to promote and maintain the level of research on lactic acid bacteria and dairy products. The main focuses of the centre for research and development are:
- organisation and conduct of scientific research on the qualities of dairy products and the properties of lactic acid bacteria;
- creation of starter cultures that guarantee the typical taste and flavour of the traditional Bulgarian dairy products;
- development of starter cultures for lactic acid products that are beneficial for the health;
- creation of functional dairy products for prevention and treatment of different diseases and for supporting the recovery process after a disease;
- development of technologies for new dairy products;
- maintaining and enriching the collection of lactic acid bacteria;
- performance of controlling analyses on dairy products;
- presentation of the research and development findings of the Centre at international forums;
- consulting activities and services for Bulgarian dairy processing plants for the purpose of improving the quality of Bulgarian dairy products.
Over the past 10-15 years, the researchers have focused their efforts on characterisation and selection of technologies and probiotic indicators of strains of lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria, isolated from different environmental niches, for the creation of new generation of starter cultures with beneficial effects for the health.
Some of the studied strains manifest prominent probiotic properties:
- they have beneficial impact on serum cholesterol and triglycerides;
- they reduce the risk of arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease;
- they rapidly recover the gastrointestinal ecosystem after continuous treatment with antibiotics or in the event of acute infectious enterocolitis or constipation;
- they increase the defence mechanisms of the organisms;
- they stimulate the immune system.
The Centre for Research and Development is an independent unit that reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer of “LB Bulgaricum” EAD, which is organised in laboratories for research and development, development and introduction, and controlling.